Wednesday, July 26

Real Life (1)

If you've been reading some of my other posts, this post won't hold much value, since you already know what I have to say. All blog and no press was making Samira a dull girl, so I finally submitted an op-ed to our student newspaper. Please re-read the first sentence of this post--I'm not kidding! And I would have never gotten myself to submit anything if it wasn't for the help of an awesome friend--thanks Ramla :)

http://www.mndaily.com/articles/2006/07/19/68626

Note: I think the sentence or two that were edited by MN Daily still reflect what I wanted to get across. However, I had originally titled the article, "Tales of a Lobotomized Democracy," as opposed to what was printed, "Eating on our Lobotomized Democracy." Petty? Perhaps, but I think mine was more palatable. Now it kinda just sounds like we're Dr. Lecters, whereas I was going for, well, a different effect. Also, this for sure is petty, but instead of switching the order of "visibly" and "has" in the first sentence, if edited at all, why not omit "visibly" altogether? I don't think Dr. Hannibal Lecter visibly lobotomized anyone in the film, though the scene showed "a visibly lobotomized Paul Krendler." Lame, I know, but I can't help noticing this kinda stuff.

PS This is basically me learning how to write--a really scary process, especially when in front of a new audience. So if you do read any of my writing, on any of my blogs or otherwise, please do not hesitate to give me feedback. I think I've got this last sentence plastered all over this blog by now--and it's only because I honestly feel I need to grow into a better writer. And a sincere "Thank You" to those who have already been doing me this great favor :)

2 comments:

rima said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ayah said...

Samira--

I love the Hannibal analogy. It was very creative and a very real way to pull in the audience.

If this is you "learning" to write, I don't know if the world is ready for you once you've already learned.

Inform me next time you publish something. That was a treat for my brain.